What questions should I ask my roofing contractor?
When hiring a roofing contractor, it's essential to ask the right questions to ensure you choose a qualified & trustworthy professional for your roofing project. We have organized all of the questions we feel must be asked during your roof replacement:
1. ARE YOU LICENSED & INSURED: ENSURE the contractor is licensed to work in your area & carries liability insurance to protect you in case of accidents or damage during this project. You also want to ask what certifications your contractor has, this will determine what brand/type of material they are QUALIFIED & CERTIFIED to install.
2. CAN THEY PROVIDE REFERENCES : Ask for a list of previous customers you can either contact, or view the work to inquire about their experience with the contractors work. Always check reviews & read thoroughly to form an unbiased opinion.
3. HOW LONG HAVE THEY BEEN IN BUSINESS: A contractor with a long history in the industry IN YOUR AREA may be more reliable & experienced. However, this is not always the case, which is why its important to further your research on the company.
4. DO YOU HAVE A PHYSICAL BUSINESS ADDRESS: This can help verify if the contractor is legit or not.
5. WHAT TYOPE OF ROOFING MATERIALS DO YOU RECOMMEND FOR MY PROJECT? Discuss the various roofing materials & get recommendations based on your needs, budget & location.
6. DO YOU OFFER WARRANTIES ON YOUR WORK?: Make sure to understand the warranties that come with the roofing materials & any additional warranties provided by the contractor regarding their workmanship.
7. WHAT WILL THE TIMELINE FOR THE PROJECT BE? Get an estimate start date & completion date for your project. It's also best to be prepared if there is any delays due to weather.
8. HOW WILL YOU HANDLE UNFORESEEN ISSUES OR CHANGES DURING THE PROJECT?: Discuss how they will handle change orders, unexpected problems & possible accidents.
9. CAN YOU PROVIDE A DETAILED WRITTEN ESTIMATE: Ensure you receive a written estimate that outlines the scope of work, labor costs, materials to be used, as well as any other expenses.
10. WHAT IS THE PAYMENT SCHEDULE: Make sure to understand the payment terms, including any upfront deposits & the final payment.
11. WHO WILL BE SUPERVISING THE PROJECT: Know who will be on-site managing the project & who is the person of contact if you have questions or concerns.
13. WHAT IS YOUR PLAN FOR CLEANUP, DEBRIS REMOVAL & LANDSCAPING: Discuss how the contractor will clean up the work are & dispose of old roofing materials. If you have landscaping on your project, it's best to ask what will be done to protect your landscaping. '
14. CAN YOU PROVIDE A WRITTEN CONTRACT: Always have a written contract that includes all projects details, costs & timelines.
15. WHAT IS YOUR POLICY FOR ADDRESSING ISSUES AFTER THE PROJECT IS COMPLETED: Make sure to discuss how the contractor handles any post-project issues or concerns.
16. HOW WILL YOU COMMUNICATE WITH ME THROUGHOUT THE PROJECT: establish a communication plan so you can stay updated on the progress & any issues that may arise.
17. ARE YOU FAMILIAR WITH LOCAL BUILDING CODES & REGULATIONS: Ensure the contractor is knowledgeable about the specific building codes & regulations in your area.
Asking & discussing these questions will help make an informed decision when choosing a roofing contractor & ensuring that your roofing project goes smoothly,